Pages

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Tornadoes



Tornadoes

Pesky twisting tunnels of wind. Scary. I've been scared of them my entire life, that list includes snakes, tornadoes, dying young without raising my daughter, and... well that's about it... I think. Yes for now that's it, oh no wait and then there's home invasion, but that's all. I worry, there are not many things that send me running in fright, but if worry were fear, well I'd of died long ago from being worried to death. I'm sure it's coming anyway LOL. I guess people use that saying too "worried to death" instead of scared to death. Ugh, anyway.

This morning I was sound asleep, and dreaming about something I dream about more often then I'd like to, being caught in or running from a tornado. People say that dreaming about tornadoes means you feel turmoil in your life. I can't really disagree with that statement, because I probably do, but I don't think that's why I dream about tornadoes. I think it's just because it's something I'm actually scared of.

I have seen more real tornadoes in my life then the average person. If you count the ones in my dreams maybe even more then the average storm chaser. (haha) We lived in an area that every time it clouded up and rained a tornado would pop up. I don't know what it was about that area but something must have been right to form  tornadoes regularly.

When I was young I remember driving over Escambia Bay Bridge and seeing two water spouts out in the water, I've spent awhile online tonight hoping to find a picture of it but I was unable. After searching for awhile I remembered that, that was back in the day before everyone had a cell phone and I don't think digital cameras were invented yet, and if they were they were not readily available to the general public.


It looked sorta like this and I remember being scared that they would join together and form a larger tornado and take out the bridge we were driving over. I remember my mom urging my dad to drive faster and get away from the bridge and I remember my tiny little heart praying to God that we'd get off that bridge safely before it got to the bridge. I also remember feeling bad for praying that it wouldn't hit while we were on the bridge, because what about the people behind us?

This mornings dream was similar to that memory. I was a teen my dad was driving, my mom in the passenger seat my siblings spread out through the car they were all teens too. The bad weather started, and then there was a tornado out across the median on the other side of the interstate and it was coming towards us. This was no little spout like in the picture, this was a F2, or and F3. As we drove tornadoes popped up all around us just behind us. One F5 big and black and crossing the road right behind us, laying massive destruction to the road and cars just behind us. So close it took my breath away. So close it laid over a massive tree right behind the vehicle. So close the leaves scraped the back window of the car, and my dad was surely hitting 90 or better I began to worry about one picking up the car, or blowing him off the road and a wreck killing us all, but the sheer terror of what was happening behind us kept me silent about that fear. 

I grabbed my mothers shoulders to tell her something as another twister took away my breath, and at that very moment, lightning struck my house and the electricity went out and woke me from my terrible dream. I was glad to be out of the dream, but only for a moment, when I realized that there was a massive storm going on outside. There were tornado spottings all over town! 

A moment later Boogie was running and jumping into bed with me, the power going off had scared her also, and I'm a little concerned there was a small twister out front, from the noises I heard, and somethings being tossed around that shouldn't have been. We sat together for about an hour with no power and lightning popping every five minutes for a little over an hour with no power. I learned later in the day that a child at a daycare up the road was struck by lightning, I'm so glad that wasn't us. I didn't hear if the child was ok or not.

It's funny how at almost 30 I'm still dreaming of being a teenager/young adult. Rarely do I dream about my life how it is now, and when I do it's not memorable.

Do you dream about Tornadoes? Do you dream about being an age other then what you are now? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

No comments:

Post a Comment